About Me

My photo
Married to Don, a retired teacher and coach. We have 6 living kids and 6 beautiful grandkids who fill our lives with joy! A transplant from Sioux City Iowa to Southern California, my heart and my passion are centered on sharing the hope I have in Christ and intercessory prayer for families, for cities and for the nation. I believe that Jesus is about to return, and I want to share His desire that no man should perish. It is also my hope to be faithful to the Great Commission of Matthew 28:16-20. The legacy I pray for those I love is to love Christ and seek to serve Him.

Monday, June 14, 2010

His Character is Reflected in His Name


The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run into it and is safe. Proverbs 18:10

I really appreciated Pastor Gene’s message yesterday. Names are extremely significant to God in that they reflect the character and attributes of a person. So important are they to Him, that God saw fit to change man’s name on numerous occasions. Abram became Abraham. Jacob became Israel. Simon became Peter. Saul became Paul.

It shouldn’t surprise us then, that God would describe His own attributes and character within the content of His word. Each name of God reveals a unique characteristic of His nature, a revelation of His majesty. He also gives us understanding into the awesome and unfathomable depth of His power and His holiness.

I remember doing a study on the names of God and discovering more than 700 scripture reference to the names of God, the descriptions of who both Father and Son are, and what they said about themselves. It was an incredible study that left me in absolute security of not only who God was but who I was in and through Jesus. I encourage each of you to begin to study the names of God and worship Him by calling upon His awesome and powerful names.

My goal today to provide a list of some of the predominant names of God and the references to them. "ELOHIM" is the first name for God found in the Bible, and it's used over 2,300 times throughout the Old Testament. Elohim comes from the Hebrew root meaning "strength" or "power". El is the simple form of Elohim, and is often combined with other words for descriptive emphasis.

"YHVH" (Yahweh) is the Hebrew word that translates as "LORD". It is sometimes written "Jehova" in the Bible. Found more often in the Old Testament than any other name for God (approximately 7,000 times), the title is also referred to as meaning the "The Four Letters". YHVH comes from the Hebrew verb "to be" and is the special name that God revealed to Moses at the burning bush. "And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM; and He said, you shall say to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you... this is My eternal name, and this is how I am to be recalled for all generations'" (Exodus 3:14-15). Therefore, YHVH declares God's absolute being - the source of everything.

The LORD who revealed Himself as YHVH in the Old Testament is revealed as Yeshua / Jesus in the New Testament. Jesus shares the same attributes as YHVH and clearly claims to be YHVH. In John 8:56-59, Jesus presents himself as the "I AM."

Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.”
Then the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?” Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.


And what are those primary names of God? Let’s take a look at them:

ELOHIM. . . Genesis 1:1, Psalm 19:1 . . meaning "God", a reference to God's power and might.

YAHWEH - JEHOVAH. . . Genesis 2:4 . . .a reference to God's divine salvation.

ADONAI......Malachi 1:6 . . . meaning "Lord", a reference to the Lordship of God.

YAHWEH MACCADDESHEM . . .Exodus 31:13 meaning "The Lord thy sanctifier"

YAHWEH RO’EH . . .Psalm 23:1 . . .meaning "The Lord my shepherd"

YAHWEH SHAMMAH. . . Ezekiel 48:35 . . .meaning "The Lord who is present"

YAHWEH ROPHE. . . Exodus 15:26 . . . meaning "The Lord our healer"

YAHWEH TSIDKENU. . . Jeremiah 23:6 . . . meaning "The Lord our righteousness"

YAHWEH JIREH
. . .Genesis 22:13-14 . . .meaning "The Lord our provider"

YAHWEH NISSI. . .Exodus 17:15 . . .meaning "The Lord our banner"

YAHWEH SHALOM. . .Judges 6:24 . . . meaning "The Lord our peace"

YAHWEH SABBAOTH. . .Isaiah 6:1-3 . . . meaning "The Lord of Hosts"

YAHWEH GMOLAH. . .Jeremiah 51:6 . . .meaning "The God of Recompense"

YAHWEH HOSEENU
. . . Psalms 95:6 . . . meaning “The Lord our Maker”

YAHWEH ELOHEENU . . . Deuternonomy 6:4 . . . meaning, “The Lord our God”

EL-ELYON . . .Genesis 14:17-20,Isaiah 14:13-14 . . . meaning "The most high God

EL-ROI. . .Genesis 16:13 . . . meaning "The strong one who sees"

EL-SHADDAI. . .Genesis 17:1, Psalm 91:1 . . .meaning "The God who is sufficient for the needs of His people"

EL-OLAM. . .Isaiah 40:28-31 . . .meaning "The everlasting God"

The phrase “Selah” means stop, pause and consider. May you stop, pause and consider the glorious attributes of the Lord Your God! I pray we continue to hunger and thirst for more of Him! May we strive to know Him in His fullness through Jesus our Lord!!

No comments: